HOWTO: Build PaulStretch on OS/X (or elsewhere)

GO HERE FOR LATEST AND GREATEST

A commenter asked for help building Paul Stretch for his G4 Powerbook. I didn’t bother with a PowerPC build for OS X; but if you’re familiar enough with programming to build stuff from source it’s not too difficult. Instructions after the jump — I know most of you would rather eat broken glass than read them.

EDIT: I should mention that these build scripts will work on any OS (Linux, SunOS, FreeBSD) that supports Unix style scripting. For all I know, you can use them with Cygwin and X11 on Windows.

On Windows, you can look at the scripts (they’re dirt simple) and use them as a guide to building — you can probably get binary distributions of the libraries, and then use CMake to build the application. Really!
This is ALL command line instructions.

STEP 1: make yourself a sandbox directory, and change there.
mkdir /tmp/paulstretch
cd /tmp/paulstretch

STEP 2: Get my scripts for building

curl http://www.cornwarning.com/xfer/PaulStretch-OSX-Build.tar.gz > PaulStretch-OSX-Build.tar.gz
tar xzf PaulStretch-OSX-Build.tar.gz

STEP 3: Get all the source code

sh getall.sh

STEP 4: Build it all

sh buildall.sh

Now you should be the proud owner of a shiny new paulstretch.app, which will be in the opt subdirectory of your sandbox. All you need to do to install it is to copy it where ever you want it to live. For example:

sudo cp -r opt/install/paulstretch.app /Applications

What if it goes wrong?

Well, mate, I did my best. I actually checked all my scripts with a build from scratch several times until it went through to completion. The main thing to check is this: I’ve coded URLS to the source tar files.  If you look in the getall.sh script, you’ll see the curl commands I use to grab them. It may be that there are newer versions of the files, or the links have changed. In which case you’ll have to google the library name, and find the source tar files for yourself.

Aside from that, e-mail me ( chaircrusher at gmail dot com ) and include the exact error messages you’re encountering and I will do my best to sort you the hell out.

This entry was posted in Music Software, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to HOWTO: Build PaulStretch on OS/X (or elsewhere)

1. Pissypaw says:

I recommend building the dependencies with macports. You check out which dependencies paulstretch needs, then run sudo port install [name] to install the dependency and its dependencies. When they are all built the paulstretch build will have a better chance of succeeding.

• chaircrusher says:

Macports has burned us more than once — I ended up downloading everything and building it myself. CMake has a facility to build up a standalone .app so all dependencies are internal to the PaulStretch.app bundle.

2. rodrigo says:

Is it possible to just download the .app itself? I tried doing the terminal thing and got all sorts of errors.

• rodrigo says:

And where did terminal put all of these files (so I can delete them)?

I can’t find a tmp or paulstretch folder anywhere.

3. databaze says:

files are hidden.

4. Nick says:

I know this post is pretty old, but perhaps you can still help me out.
    When following the instructions, I got almost to the end of the code. But when I got to creating “bootstrap.cmk” in cmake, in buildall.sh, an error popped up with the make files.

make: *** [cmake] Error 1
    ———————————————
    Error when bootstrapping CMake:
    Problem while running make
    ———————————————
    Log of errors: /tmp/paulstretch/cmake-2.8.3/Bootstrap.cmk/cmake_bootstrap.log
    ———————————————
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    make: *** No rule to make target `install’. Stop.
    PREFIX=/tmp/paulstretch/opt
    buildpaul.sh: line 21: /tmp/paulstretch/opt/bin/cmake: No such file or directory
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    make: *** No rule to make target `install’. Stop.”

It looks like the “make” files it needs don’t exist. Do you happen to know a fix to this? Thanks!

• chaircrusher says:

CMake build didn’t work. Just build CMake by itself — easy enough, just follow the directions — and install it on your machine. Then the build scripts should work fine.