PaulStretch — New Build For the New Decade…

EDIT: If you want the latest & greatest go here

Judging from the WP Stats, my posts about the PaulStretch extreme audio timestretching application are by far the most popular blog posts I’ve ever made, indeed I think people will be downloading it after I’m dead if this domain outlives me.

Well, today I took the time to ‘refresh’ the PaulStretch stuff. This means I updated all the libraries it depends on to current versions and rebuilt the program. I don’t mess with the program source code itself — nothing has changed in appearance or tools.

The one thing that has changed — and it’s a biggie! — is that it now can load MP3 files for processing without crashing. Huzzah!

If you want to know what I’m talking about, check the original post here. I’ve updated the build scripts but the instructions here still apply.

The application: http://www.cornwarning.com/xfer/PaulStretch-OSX-x386.dmg

The build scripts: http://www.cornwarning.com/xfer/PaulStretch-OSX-Build.tar.gz EDIT: I had the link wrong. Sorry — one letter off.

The Disclaimer

I did this for my own amusement. I don’t want to be the guy providing tech support on Paul Stretch. So try and take care of yourselves. As far as I know no one has bothered to try and use my scripts to compile it for themselves, which I find annoying because A) people are so damn lazy and B) there should be hundreds of people around the world capable of building this program and troubleshooting any issues that come up. That’s why there’s no PPC or Snow Leopard build avaiable — not one damn person stepped up.

And as to the functioning of the program itself, or any new versions, that zynaddsubfx dude who wrote it went AWOL shortly after releasing the program. He’s never responded to any of my e-mails.

This entry was posted in computers, Music Software and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to PaulStretch — New Build For the New Decade…

1. Pingback: ESKAMON "Fine Objects", rekkerd.org newsletter, Knowledge Sabre Remix Competition, Free Loops.us, Periodic Waveform Editor for iPhone via TouchOSC, PaulStretch for Mac updated

2. d.w. says:

I assume that, by now, you’ve heard that someone ran a Justin Bieber track through Paulstretch set to 800% and came out with something that sounds pretty much exactly like Sigur Ros: http://soundcloud.com/shamantis/j-biebz-u-smile-800-slower

3. Kent says:

Yeah, I saw the posts about the Justin BIeber stretch thing. And lo and behold overnight I went from 70 hits/day to 2500 hits/day.

4. Matt says:

Just tried to build this on a MBP3,1 running OSX 10.6.4 and got these make errors:

make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/paulstretch.dir/PAaudiooutput.cpp.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/paulstretch.dir/all] Error 2
    make: *** [all] Error 2

Along with several scope errors and undeclared header errors. Just passing the info along. The app you compiled works fine I think, though it may have a problem with adjusting the window size.

• chaircrusher says:

No idea what the problem is — the error message you included is completely uninformative. Normally there would be more specific information if a compiler error aborted the make. The script I wrote attempts to be comprehensive in downloading and building prerequisites, but really if anything goes wrong, you have to put on your programmer hat and figure shit out, since I can’t shoulder surf and troubleshoot it with you.

5. CLOM says:

Really cool little thing this is. Unfortunately my machine doesn’t support it. I’m using a Mac (not intel). Any help? Thamks in advance.

6. Andrew says:

Would it be a reasonable task to port this application in some form to the iPhone or iPad? I’d love to listen to stretched versions of my iTunes music at work, and would put in the time required to do an iPhone port if I get the time.

• chaircrusher says:

I think it would be possible, but it won’t be me doing it. You’d have to change it you use Cocoa native for the interface, and I don’t have any experience doing it. The guts of the algorithm wouldn’t have to change but all the UI stuff and audio connections and event handling would be different.

7. ploink says:

great software! i tried it on otto von schirach. it’s fun!

thank you.

8. Andre says:

I dont know why you would need to compile the APP when the DMG file supplies you with a built version. I an using an intel iMac and the DMG works fine guys. Just make sure you download the ‘DMG’ file and you should be fine.

9. Victor says:

LOVE. Thank you SO much for making/posting this. Brilliant way for me to create my perfect “dreamscape” writing background music. You Are My Hero.

10. Jonathan says:

Hmm… this thing just adds a horrible crackling noise to the file, while also messing up the audio driver, so the crackling is present when I for example play anything in iTunes.

• Bethan says:

Did you manage to find out how to remove the crackling sound that you heard? I’m experiencing it too!

• hank says:

hey!

i was experiencing the crackling as well on my MBP with SL. compiled it dozens of time with different versions of xcode with the same results… crackle…

and now i just found out that the crackle is gone when you’re changing your output settings in audio-midi-setup from 44,1 kHz, 2 channels 32 bit (which seems to be the standard setting) to 44,1 kHz, 2 channels 16 bit.

works very fine now!

• chaircrusher says:

I’ve heard reports of crackling, and didn’t know where it was coming from. I think 44.1khz 24-bit would be the best quality output, and would probably not crackle.

Are you using built-in audio or some sort of audio device (usb/firewire/etc)?

• hank says:

i’m using built-in audio and it crackles on 44.1 kHz 24-bit as well as i’ve tried all bitrate options. the only one which seems to work is 16 bit.

• reptile says:

I was experiencing the same problems and fixed it by turning off my sound card.

Try using the internal/built-in sound card. That worked for me.

11. Jonathan says:

Ah nevermind, it works fine when I just use the iMac’s built in headphone output.

12. Pingback: Create Digital Music » Extreme Time-stretched Hamsterdance and Free and Open Source Sound Treasures

13. Pingback: PaulStretch: An Interview with Paul Nasca its creator | Microscopics

14. meh says:

its not working for me

• chaircrusher says:

See other reply. You might have some luck if you build it yourself, but if you don’t regularly build apps from source, I doubt you’ll have much luck. Upgrade to Leopard or Snow Leopard.

15. DanielS says:

Hey, I just wanted to say great work, even if I too was receiving errors when trying to compile from source, using your OSX build post, it made it to the end as far as dependencies go however I ran into this error, (I know you want me to put on my programmers hat however I’m not a programer so I figured I’d ask for help somewhere it might get answered.

-- The C compiler identification is GNU
    -- The CXX compiler identification is GNU
    -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
    -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc -- works
    -- Detecting C compiler ABI info
    -- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
    -- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
    -- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
    -- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
    -- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
    -- Configuring done
    -- Generating done
    -- Build files have been written to: /paulstretch-2.0/osx-build/paulstretch-build
    -- Configuring done
    -- Generating done
    make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/paulstretch-2.0/osx-build/opt/bin/fluid', needed by `GUI.h'. Stop.
    make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/paulstretch.dir/all] Error 2
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    -- Configuring done
    -- Generating done
    make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/paulstretch.dir/all] Error 2
    make: *** [all] Error 2

Also I’ll point out that I’m running linux mint (debian based if it matters).

Thanks for at least hearing me out and taking the time to build this app!

• chaircrusher says:

The FLTK build isn’t sucessfully being built/installed. Fluid is the FLTK interface builder, and it’s used to make the C++ source from the user interface text file — the fld file?

If you can figure out where fluid is you can run it manually to generate GUI.h

16. Si says:

Thanks for that, much appreciated

17. felix says:

I don’t suppose there’s any way I could get this working with OS X 10.4? :(

18. Pingback: Ambient and Drone « Notes for my Classes

19. Robert taylor says:

What a superb programme, I managed to create some filthy sounds with this. Thank you very much indeed!

20. jmob says:

Excellent app but if you use a soundcard, it won’t sound right.

21. bliss says:

I managed to build a 10.4.11 PPC version, using the source and instructions that are available on this site. It’s 50MB (over 10x larger than the OS X 10.5 build). It distorts audio, even audio that isn’t played through the app, such as through Finder preview.

Would be cool if someone could build a working version for 10.4.11 PPC. I’d share mine — but it doesn’t work well.

Also, it was an eye-opener that nearly 2 GB of hard drive space was needed to build a 50MB app.

Anyway, thanks for the instructions, in the first place.

22. bliss says:

I managed to build a 10.4.11 PPC version, using the source and instructions that Chaircrusher provided. It’s 50MB (over 10x larger than the OS X 10.5 build). It distorts audio, even audio that isn’t played through the app, such as through Finder preview.

Anyway, thanks for the instructions, in the first place.

23. Chris says:

Running the binary above on SL 10.6.4. Works great!

Thanks for the hard work. This is awesome to play around with.

24. Joachime says:

Thanks!

25. David says:

Hey , SO
    I’m running 10.6.5 Intel
    I’ve installed it fine and everything but it wont play when push play…… haha I can tell by the previous comments you don’t feel like telling me how to get this working…?

I’m in music school and have a term project where I have to make an entire track out of One sample.

Paulstretch would be SOOOOOOOOO helpful. does anyone know where I can find a copy of it that works?

OR another program that does the same thing??

I know almost nothing when it comes to programming…….. :(

THANKS!

26. matt says:

When clicking on render, it just reduces my selected file to a strip of silence. So confused…

• chaircrusher says:

Don’t know what the problem is, mate. Like I keep telling people I provide a build that I know works on at least my computers. If it doesn’t work on yours you may need to do some building and debugging of your own. I can’t and won’t be a general support person.

27. Pingback: Create ambient drones with Paul Stretch | Music Software Training and Ableton Tutorial Videos

28. Blair says:

Works a treat, thanks for sharing the build!

29. Joe McMahon says:

I’ll give a Snow Leopard build a go and let you know if I get a working one.

30. Andrew says:

Dont know what you mean when you say theres no Snow Leopard build, running 10.6.3 and it works fine!

31. databaze says:

I am not a programmer, I know there is a new version of Paulstretch, 2.1 I think it is, what would you recommend me to read on to be able to compile this app myself in order to have it running under OS X 10.6.8?
    Thank you for your time.

32. Ritchie says:

Love it. Didn’t work with my external soundcard but fine with the internal outputs.

Thank you.

33. Ritchie says:

Can anybody answer this query. If I’m processing 48k 24bit wav files, am I best to render with the 32bit option? Especially if the file has further processes to go?

34. Pingback: Paulstretch has become even more stretchie : Steelberry Clones

35. Pingback: Paul`s extreme Sound Strech | ????/ikkai

36. Pingback: The noise of Norway » A small collection of sound related links

37. Pingback: hoe dat atmospheric effect bekomen op strings en gitaarsounds zoals van sigur ros - homerecording.be forum

38. Ben says:

Thanks been looking for something like this since Epic Sound is no longer avaliable in UK iTunes. This is a great programme you have created. Here is my creation; https://soundcloud.com/bam1981/diamondsareforeverfeat